Some history about our Church…
The formal opening of the first Catholic Church in Krugersdorp took place on 9 June 1891. It was dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul.
For the first few years after the church was dedicated, there was no resident Parish Priest and it is known that priests visited Krugersdorp from Johannesburg during this time.
From a study of the church records, it was concluded that Fr Isidore Tresch was the first Parish Priest (in 1898).
The St Ursula’s Convent opened, providing for the education of girls.
St Peter and Paul Parochial School opened with an enrolment of 35 children
and staffed by Ursuline sisters.
St Mary’s Mission, Munsieville (for Africans) was established in the
Plans for a new church were passed.
A new church (the present church) was built. It was dedicated to our lady
of the Most Holy Rosary.
The church was the centre of pilgrimage for the West Rand for the
celebration of the Holy Year.
Lay Ministers of the Eucharist instituted.
Ministers of the Eucharist commenced weekly Communion Services at
Sterkfontein Hospital; St Joseph’s House purchased to provide space for
catechetics and accommodation for priests.
A hall built and (in 1983) named the Tom Kelly Centre.
1989 to 1990
The rebuilding of St Mary’s Mission, Munsieville was undertaken.